Lion Industries Corporation Berhad (LICB) was incorporated on 17 May 1924 as Sungei Way Dredging Limited under the Companies Enactment 1917. Subsequently, it changed its name to Sungei Way Dredging Berhad on 15 April 1966 and later to Supreme Corporation on 1 October 1976 and Lion Land Berhad on 21 October 1991. LICB was listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad on 29 December 1973 and adopted its current name on 18 February 2003.
LICB is involved in the manufacturing of long steel products, by Amsteel Mills Sdn Bhd (AMSB) and Antara Steel Mills Sdn Bhd (Antara) at three steel mills. AMSB’s plant located in Klang, Selangor produces billets for rolling into steel bars and wire rods while its plant in Banting Selangor, set up in 2001 produces special grade billets for rolling into specialty bars and wire rods for automotive parts, mattress and mechanical springs, turning parts, wire rods, wire ropes and other stringent applications. The third mill operated by Antara in Pasir Gudang, Johor, was acquired in 2002 from Johor Corporation Bhd, and produces billets which are rolled into steel bars and light sections such as angle bars, flat bars and U-channels.
The steel bars, wire rods and sections produced by LICB are used in the construction, fabrication and manufacturing industries.
Antara also operates a Hot Briquetted Iron (HBI) plant in Labuan using the Midrex Technology from USA. Antara’s HBI is manufactured from high-purity iron ore and is rated as among the world’s best and supplied to steel mills for ironmaking, steelmaking and foundry applications.
In the property development sector, LICB is involved in property management and residential development. Some of its projects are Taman Malim Jaya in Melaka, Taman Soga in Batu Pahat and Pelangi Promenade in Klang. Its joint-venture with the Eastern & Oriental Group comprises a mixed integrated development project which includes three blocks of 28-storey serviced apartments, with retail, food and beverage theme outlets located at the site of the former St Mary’s School in Kuala Lumpur.